Sunday 10 October 2010

Oxtails

Right, I read that sous vide was excellent for cheaper cuts of meat so I decided to try something I had never tried before. I popped into the butcher and bought some oxtails, which at £5.13 for one person didn't seem all that cheap but hey ho.

I decided to have a go at brining too, so I put them in a solution of 1 litre of water, 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of sugar and some bay leaves for 6 hours.

I put them into the sous vide at 70.0C for 48 hours. I was very excited last night when I cut open the packets and tipped them out. I thought I would flake a little meat off the bone and try it and OMG how gross! Luckily I had some smoked salmon left over from lunch so I ate that and gave the oxtails to the dogs who seemed to really enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment